Rosie Luminary

I made this luminary to participate in Michelle Perkett Studio Challenge blog where this week we were challenged to make anything but a card. It´s my first time making one and I loved every second spent in it!
I used Rosie from Michelle Perkett as the main image that I colored with colored pencils and blended with gamsol.  The luminary body was cut with my cricut machine, I found the svg file at Penny Duncan blog. I traced, cut and glued patterned tissue paper on the windows.
I also stamped, colored and cut some roses to place here and there over the tussie paper panels along with the ones on Rosie digi stamp. I also added some rhinestones in the center of the 4 diamons. On the back of the luminary I pierced the boders, stitched lilac embroidery floss and made a bow to make the closing.
Here is a top view
as I said, this one was my first luminary and I´m going to make more for sure, I have lots of ideas already!

Today is Easter Sunday, and in my country we usually have a sweet bread called Rosca de Pascua. It´s a brioche kind of bread, like a sweet roll made out of a yeast dough so it takes a day to make it (or several hours of raising), but it so good it´s worth the time spent making it.
Before baking the bread we decorate it with pastry cream (custard). Once it´s done and cooled we decorate it with cherries and glazed orange cut in thin strips, I only had dry cherries and a tiny piece or glazed orange but I was not disouraged! I made it anyway.... I love this bread, so much that I made a whole batch so now I have leftovers of the uncooked dough on the freezer for later sweet moments... If you want to try it, e-mail me and I´ll gladly send you the recipe.

10 comments:

Michelle said...

Happy Easter, Ileana!! Wow! Your luminary is gorgeous! So creative! I love the tissue papers pattern and how you added the little roses on the top! I love the colors you used on Rosie! Wonderful job, Ileana!! That bread is making my mouth water!!:) Thank you so much for another amazing entry Ileana!!:)

Anonymous said...

Oh Ileana...this turned out SO awesome!!! LOVE the idea of using as a luminre......SO clever!!!! Thank you so much for letting us see it!!! GORGEOUS!!!!

Lynne Armstrong said...

Another absolutely beautiful project Ileana! Love everything about it...the colours you chose, your colouring of Rosie, the paper...just beautiful :) And I'm with Michelle...that bread looks mouth-watering! Do you think it would be edible after posting to Aus LOL!!
Hugs
Lynne

Marilyn Webb said...

Just stunning Ileana! That recipe looks awesome, I am drooling....

Fotf said...

That is so pretty Ileana, do you put a candle inside it?

Elizabeth P said...

Gorgeous luminary Ileana! I love it!
and I love your "rosca de Pascua", I ate a lot of "rosca" that my dad and my hubby´s aunt made yesterday! but not enough chocolate... I need to eat more! LOL
I just saw you found your award on my blog, I hope you like it! :)
Hugs!!!

Kathy Czygan said...

Ileana...What a unique idea! This luminary is beautiful! Your coloring of Rosie is so soft and well blended. The purple printed tissue paper is a lovely background for Rosie! Very Nice! Thanks for sharing this with all of us.

Kerry said...

Beautiful Ileana!!! And the rosca looks really yummy! :D I love reading your blog... My 2 favorite things in one blog = totally cool!

grandmalee said...

This is so gorgeous Ileana! I love what you did with Rosie! I'm so partial to colored pencils, and your coloring is beautiful. This idea is so wonderful anytime of year! Thanks for all of the detailed pictures.

Your bread looks soooo yummy! It really looks like a lot of work. My old neighbor was always baking specialities from Germany & other parts of the world, so I've actually tasted this wonderful sweet bread.

Tammy said...

This is so pretty, Ileana!! Dang...I think I need to dig my cricut out again because this is just awesome. You have colored Rosie so beautifully!! Thanks for joining us sweetie!!!